Yesterday, I was listening to the radio on the way driving home. The radio hosts were talking about Teogye Lee Hwang, who was a famous scholar and politician that valued people's virtue. He was admired by many people, and the reason for that was because of his humble and noble character. And then the host continues to tell a story.
When Lee Hwang's son was getting married, it was said that his son's wife came from a household that was well-off than his. Parents of both families met to discuss about the wedding; however, the bride's family immediately disrespected and treated Taegyo Lee Hwang with contempt. One of the bride's family members deliberately poured water on his chair and ordered Taeygo Lee Hwang to clean it up. Taegyo Lee Hwang could've been angry at them for putting him to shame, but he didn't.
This is what he said.
The honor of the family does not go wrong when one says it's wrong. When our family begins to do the same by resenting and quarreling with the other family, that is when the honor of the family goes wrong.
Besides, even if we were to be treated contemptuously and started to hate them back, how troubled my daughter-in-law, who just became a part of the family, would be? For the sake of my daughter-in-law, let's try to put this matter behind us. Several thoughts came to my mind after hearing this. It made me think 'how did I treat those who sent me cold glances,' and 'like the in-laws, was there ever a time that I sent cold glances in situations I didn't know about?'
And then I thought about MANNAM. Regarding this, people do not have a positive view on MANNAM, but is spoken about in an ill-manner. However, the MANNAM that I have felt and seen was not the place people have been claiming that it was. There is no discrimination nor is there a force upon religion. We pursue a world of peace, no war or disputes, but bring different cultures together in unity. This is what MANNAM promotes, and this is the MANNAM that I have felt. I am confident that by participating in MANNAM activities, we will be closer to achieving world peace.
How must I feel about those who criticize against things that they don't even properly know about? Like Taegyo Lee Hwang, even if the people were to criticize MANNAM, it's wouldn't be right to do the same to them. We must have a heart that is big enough to embrace even these kind of criticisms.

댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기